Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, May 10, 2014

  The torches for this summer’s Pan Am games (July 10-26) and Parapan Am games (August 7-15) will come through Clarington this summer. Bob, a member of our church family, has been chosen as a torchbearer for the Parapan American games.
  Bob, 44, was diagnosed with MS 23 years ago. “When I first heard my diagnosis, I thought that I would have to give up many of the things I loved – cycling, coaching my children’s teams, and being active. Adaptive sports helped me realize I didn’t have to give anything up – instead, I was able to do them differently.”
  Adaptive sports like sledge hockey and wheelchair basketball and lacrosse also allowed him to work with disabled kids and do his part to “give them a better outlook.” His volunteer work with youth at Variety Village and the Durham Abilities Centre showed the torch relay organizers that Bob would be a good ambassador for the games.
  Bob freely admits that he has dealt with anger and fear as his MS became worse, finally preventing him from doing wheelchair sports. He began to avoid situations in which he needed help, like father/son canoe trips that involved portaging. But on a church sponsored trip, a pastor kept his promise that “We’ll be there to help.” This experience was a significant move to becoming a Christian. “As they helped me, I felt no judgment and no condemnation. Their kindness overcame my hang-ups and pride.”
  In addition to carrying the Parapan Am torch this summer, Bob hopes to accompany seven others from our church on a one week missions trip to the Dominican Republic. “I’ve always tried to not let my disability define me. I know that God will provide.”
  How does he feel about doing his 200-300 metres section of the relay in Bowmanville? “It’s fun. And it’s nice to be recognized.”
  Bob’s dream is to bring a wheelchair basketball team to Durham Region called the Durham Swish. “I’m still waiting for a strong, core team of players from Durham that is ready and willing to compete against other Ontario teams.”
- Pastor Peter

Comments