Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, May 6, 2018

  Over the past few weeks, Vickie and I have been talking about more courageously following the promptings of the Hold Spirit.
  A few days ago, I had this feeling that I needed to leave the push bar on "open" in case someone needed access to the church...
so I took the key and unlocked both doors, and promptly forgot I did it.
  A little while later I heard the 'ding' of the door and someone call "Hello?"  I went out to greet the man who had come in.  He asked if we held Mass or if he could use the church to pray.  I mentioned that we didn't have Mass today, but that he was more than welcome to use our church to pray.  When I asked him if everything was OK, or if he needed someone to pray with or for him, he said, "My fiance committed suicide this past weekend, and her funeral is this coming weekend.  I didn't know what to do, but I passed by your church and felt like I needed to go in and pray."
  I offered to pray with him, and he grabbed my hand and cried as we prayed together.  We got to ask God for peace as they mourn the tragic loss of his fiance.  We got to pray for her family, coming from Atlantic Canada to Ottawa for the funeral, for grace and peace for Pat, and all the family and friends... for strength over the next days, weeks and months.  Pat then spent the next 15-30 minutes being blessed by Jason (Dale and Gloria's son) playing the piano.  Jason was playing the piano behind the curtain on the stage, and was oblivious to what was going on in the auditorium.  When I shared  what happened, he was touched and said... 'I'm blessed to be a blessing."  (the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!)
  Today, I am reminded that we just need to make ourselves available, and God shows up.
  I, once again, sit here dumbfounded at how cool God is!
  Let's all pray for Pat...
- Brian

Comments