Skip to main content

Note from the Pastor, March 30, 2014

  After Pastor Peter preached that wonderful message about Relationship, I knew that this story had to be shared.
  What many people don’t know is that prior to coming to Hope, my life was pretty much symbolized by the “brokenness” picture shown on the screen and Bob Dylan’s song. Another strong symbol was the basement of my mother’s house where I lived. It was dimly lit and lonely which was exactly how I felt. On the outside, my mum, my sister and I appeared to be close but behind closed doors, it was the diametric opposite. The emotional brokenness in my life can be summed up by saying that my mum called me her “Wednesday’s Child”. And no, I have no other family to turn to, with the exception of my two cousins in England who still speak to me and my aunt in Toronto who I hear from once or twice a year. So I was an orphan.
  In 1995, I found Christ at a women’s meeting in a Pentecostal church. My spiritual parents are still a big part of my life. After discovering my missing purpose in life, I realized that I did have gifts to give back to God. My love of Street Ministry, ministering to children, coupled with my writing and expressive worship gave me meaning and an identity which I never had before. But then, I suffered emotional and spiritual brokenness again. I began asking myself if this orphan would ever find a home!
  Well God heard that and brought me to Hope Fellowship in 2008, while you were still meeting at the school. When I was invited to join your expressive arts team that Christmas, I thought maybe I had found a home. But the very moment I walked into our current building, I KNEW beyond the shadow of a doubt and I told Nicole that I felt like this was my HOME!!! A sensation that I had not experienced since my dad died! God had restored my hope by giving me a HOME at HOPE!!! I finally have a sense of belonging to a real family!!!
  As my family, you have proven yourselves over and over again. Your love, support, and prayers through my mum’s illness and passing was greatly appreciated. The love that I received afterwards when I was discovering ugly truths was inspirational. And who can forget THE MOVE. I was dealing with such a mixed bag of emotions myself and my developmentally challenged sister. And along comes my Hope family to my rescue!! I had never experienced such an outpouring of love in my life!!! They made a seemingly impossible situation more than do-able. That act of unconditional love still brings me to tears.
  Since being home and finding healing at HOPE, God has opened other doors of ministry to me such as Vacation Bible Schools and speaking at other churches. My new & exciting one is being able to share my passion for worship with the children at an Anglican church this Easter. But I know that my home is HOPE & that my church family will be praying. I love you all very much!!!
- MJ



Comments