Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, April 13, 2014

Diane gave me permission to publish the e-mail that she sent me this week. 

  ''I am a BUSY woman…a single mom of two kids, always on the go. Their dad helps when he can but he lives in Northern Ontario now, so it`s just me running kids to and fro. There never seem to be enough hours in the day to get everything done, but somehow, mostly at the expense of sleep, I get it done! When my friends wonder: “How do you do it?!’’ I feel happy and proud. If I go to church less or spend less time in prayer, I rationalize that it`s ok because I`m juggling all these balls, and I AM getting it DONE! I am a BUSY woman.
  “I`ve always thought that God has funny or sometimes even tragic ways of getting our attention when we veer off path. This was never more true than when I caused a terrible accident recently as I was rushing around trying to ‘get it all done.’ It was only through His grace that I didn`t injure anyone more seriously! This has made me take stock and realize how unimportant a lot of stuff in my life is. All this harried running around, crazy late nights up cleaning, renovating…I don`t think God`s plan for me is to have the cleanest house, or to make it to every practice or to serve the best meals. If I slow down, take the time to listen to God and faithfully live the life that He intends for me, only then can I truly ‘get it done.’ Unfortunately, it took a head-on crash for me to reach this conclusion.”


  Diane’s message reminded me of Jesus’ invitation: "Come to me, all you who are weary and heavy laden, and I will give you rest. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." I’m so glad that no-one was seriously injured in this wake up call about living more like Mary and less like Martha (see Luke 10:38-42).
- Pastor Peter



Comments