Skip to main content

A Note from the Pastor, May 27, 2012

  Trinity United Church was the site of the first Mayor and Community Leaders’ Prayer Breakfast on Thursday, May 24. It was a glorious spring morning as the auditorium filled with church and business leaders, as well our Mayor Adrian Foster and our local MP.
  Our speaker was Mr. Mel Finlay, the National Director of Nation at Prayer, a non-profit, ecumenical organization that “exists to pray with elected representatives and to call Christians to pray for all elected representatives at every level of government” (nationatprayer.ca). In his speech he challenged everyone to honestly ask themselves three important questions.
  His first question, “What do I stand on?” dealt with our values. Referencing Jesus’ story about the wise man who built his house upon a rock, Finlay challenged us to think about the non-negotiable values that function as a firm foundation in our lives. By “non-negotiable” he meant values that we will cling to at all costs, even if or when someone tries to bully us into letting them go. He pointed us to the Ten Commandments and the four gospels as a good starting place for building a strong foundation.
  His second question, “What do I stand for?” focused on our character. He reminded us of the problem of sin and our tendency to do “the evil I do not want to do” (Romans 7:19). He urged us to live a life of integrity so that we would be a blessing to others in the church and in the community. To help us with this, he suggested that we ask our colleagues, friends and spouses “What is it that you see when you look at me?”
  His final question, “Who do I stand with?” gave him the opportunity to present Jesus Christ as the source of external strength that we need in order to match both the values that we espouse and the character that we exhibit. We may be well-intentioned, he said, but none of us have it in us to be perfect. All the more reason to begin or deepen a relationship with Jesus Christ.
  Values, character and our need for Jesus Christ! An effective presentation that made one of the guests at my table turn to me and say, “That was very good!” What was also very good was the prayer time that followed. Four different persons, including Martin Spoelstra, the pastor of Discovery Church, our local church plant in Bowmanville, prayed for the leaders and laity of our churches, for health care and emergency service providers, for teachers and politicians, and for the fire and police departments.
  I felt greatly encouraged as I left. Not only had we heard a simple but profound message from a respected person who prays regularly with government representatives. But all of us had also interceded for our leaders and front line workers. It was a good reminder of the importance of prayer, and a timely reminder to pray regularly for the public servants whom God has placed in positions of trust.
  As I reflect on Thursday’s Prayer Breakfast, I realize that I want my values and character to match. I know that I need Jesus to help me do that. I’m going to make that my daily prayer.
  Mel Finlay’s prayer ministry also helped me realize that I don’t pray often enough for our public servants, our business leaders and all those who provide us with the protection and care that we tend to take for granted. I want to change that, too.
  Will you join me in making these changes in your prayer life?
- Pastor Peter

Comments