Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, June 10, 2012

  I LOVE THE LEARNING CURVE. God has given me the ability and hunger to learn about technically challenging things. I enjoy learning activities where new skills are mastered each time you do it. Renovating houses, wakeboarding, snowboarding, and dirt biking have all fueled my love for the LEARNING CURVE.  
  As many of you know, I recently had an accident. My son and I were out dirt biking when I clipped a tree. I separated from the bike and went flying into some trees. When everything stopped moving it was VERY apparent that I had broken my leg (femur). EMS extracted me from the woods and about 16 hours later I had a 20” titanium rod inserted in my Femur secured with 3 screws. The recovery from this kind of injury may be long. I’m told 6-8 weeks on crutches and then on to a cane. It may be 6-12 months before I can run or jump.
  Through all of this I have deep feelings of gratitude to God for many things-my injuries could have been much worse or even fatal - for the surgeon’s amazing abilities to address bodily injuries -for a new laser therapy that has been shown to dramatically stimulate bone cell regeneration -for my wife’s gentle, compassionate, love and support -for the expressions of love and concern from our friends and community -for the ability to continue earning a living even though I will be couch-ridden for some time.
  I now find myself wondering if I will love the learning curve of the adventure my family and I are now on. What will I learn about myself as my body restricts me from doing things I want to do? What will I learn about my often selfish ambitions? What will I learn about my independence and my dependence on those around me? What will I learn about opening myself to Gods plan for my life over my own?
  Maybe we can all learn about these things together…. but without any more broken bones!
- Doug

Comments