Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, March 10, 2019

Reflections on Prayer
  “Read your Bible, pray every day and you’ll grow, grow, grow!” I remember singing those words as a kid. I even remember the actions that went with the song! From an early age I’ve known that prayer is powerful. However, if I’m honest, my prayer life has its ups and downs. Some days it is rich and meaningful. Other days I feel like I’m caught in the motions of an empty ritual. Is it a waste of time sitting around talking to God? Wouldn’t it be better to spend my time doing stuff for God?
  Since coming to Hope Fellowship Church, God has been reminding me of the importance and power of prayer. From the Week of Prayer and Fasting to the weekly Wednesday and Thursday prayer gatherings to the times of prayer that take place in small groups, prayer is an integral part of the rhythm of life at Hope Fellowship Church. In the past year I’ve seen God at work through those prayers.
  Take pre-service prayer as an example. Earlier this year a member of our congregation felt God’s leading to start up a time of prayer from 9:15-9:45 am on Sunday mornings. During this time anyone is welcome to come and prepare their hearts for worship and pray for the morning worship service. Since pre-service prayer started in February, there’s been a noticeable impact on our worship services. As we worship him, God is at work in people’s hearts and lives speaking truth, bringing healing, convicting, and challenging.
  There’s still a lot I don’t understand about prayer. God doesn’t always answer prayer in ways we hope for. Sometimes his answer to a request is “not yet” or even “no.” But I believe that God hears and answers our prayers. He is active and engaged in our world. There are things he is longing to do in us, in our church, in our city, and in our world. And for reasons I still struggle to wrap my mind around, the maker of the entire universe chooses to work through our prayers!
- Nicole

Comments