Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, May 8, 2016

  On a hot August afternoon in 2002 I decided to go for a run. In less than a half kilometer I stopped and walked home. I was a sweaty, out of breath mess. My heart was beating out of my chest. My next run would be weeks away.
  Later that year, after completing a ‘Learn to Run’ program, I finished my first road race, a 5k in 28 minutes and 23 seconds. A truly amazing achievement when you consider that I used to think running was a dumb sport because there was no coasting as there is in cycling.
  More than 75 races of various lengths later, on Monday, April 18, I stood at the start line of the 2016 Boston Marathon. Qualifying for this historic race at the Erie marathon last September was a dream come true. For the next six months I ran 6 days a week, rotated through six pairs of running shoes, spent over 200 hours running in excess of 2,300 kms and burned an estimated 186,000 calories. There were times when everything hurt. I was always tired. Many prayers were raised for healing and strength, both physically and mentally. Through it all I thanked God for the simple ability to be doing this and for a loving and supportive family.
  The Boston Marathon is not an easy race. Many downhills followed by some serious uphills. A crowded course with more than 27,000 other runners. In my previous races, whenever I was pushing hard, I would recall and repeat our wedding verse – “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me” – and find the strength and will to continue. I repeated Philippians 4:13 many times in Boston.
  On the home stretch the loud cheers from the huge crowd could have been all for me. It was overwhelming! Yet during those last few steps I couldn’t help but think that this greeting will pale in comparison to the day I breathe my last breath and meet my Saviour, which, I must admit, felt pretty close at hand.
  I am so very grateful to my wife, my family and my God for this incredible experience.
- Alfred



Comments