Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, February 22, 2015

  Two months ago I began planning a surprise birthday party for Marja’s milestone birthday. I pictured inviting the congregation to an open house featuring hit songs from all of the decades of her life and a set of original love songs by me. Three of us met to plan the décor, the food and the program.
  As it turned out, the Saturday morning men’s group had plans of their own. They were planning a Valentine’s Day dance for the ladies in their lives and they had already booked the Woodview Community Centre. Somehow they got wind of my plans and Doug and Kevin asked me if we could combine our efforts and avoid offering two competing events on February 14. I mentioned the idea of “Dancing Through The Decades” and asked if I would still be welcomed to perform a brief set of original love songs and present a music video about Marja’s life and our marital friendship. That sounded perfect to them and my team joined their team.
  My first take away from this collaborative event is that partnerships are powerful. The quality of the decorations and the food, the excellent choice of music, the one hundred and fifty attendees and the $3700 that was raised for Project Dominican Republic prove that it really pays to work together. The positive memory of so many people working together “as one” on this project will remain with me as long as the joyful memory of Marja’s face when Emilios, our awesome DJ, called me forward to sing and present the photos that Gary had set to our theme song, “Great Big Love” by Bruce Cockburn.
  On a Face Book site created for this event, the men’s group expressed thanks for the many volunteers who helped and the money that was raised. I am thankful for the same reasons. But I’m especially glad that my two months of deception are over. No more secrets from Marja. Which brings me to my second take away. Don’t ever have an affair. The constant lying is exhausting!
- Pastor Peter

Comments