Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, August 10, 2014

  We were coming home from our weekend errands, when we saw a few toys on the curb; the national symbol for “please take our unused items”. I am always on the prowl for lightly used toys for the church nursery so we stopped. As most of us know, $100 spent at Toys 'R Us does not go as far as $100 at a yard sale (or my new favourite online garage sale called www.varagesale.com sale). I hop out of the car and take a look at the toys. Not exactly what I like for the church nursery as the toys have lots of pieces, but a really great truck struck a chord for the toddler room. As I was putting the truck into my trunk, the owner of said curb says, "Thank you. They were left behind for us from our neighbours who just moved but these [toys] are too young for our kids." I, too, reply with a thank you and explain to him where the "new" toy is off to. He then shares with me, all the while my three kids and husband are waiting patiently in the van, that he is a member at the Salvation Army church and unfortunately they do not have a nursery. We continue talking and say our farewells.
  A few weeks later while we were out for a walk I heard my name being called. The same fellow I met when I picked up the curb side truck tells me he was hoping to see me as he had collected (aka purged) a large bin of toys that he would like to donate to our church. We drove back with the van and loaded a gigantic bin of wonderful toys into the trunk.
  Our down-the-road neighbour now calls when he has a good amount of toys his children have outgrown; and this week I'll be picking up our third haul since our initial curb side meet up. While our neighbour could have easily had a yard sale (or posted his toys on varage sale) and made $100, he has chosen to graciously donate them to our lively church nursery. God is good!
- Katie



Comments