Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, December 23, 2012

  As a visiting nurse in our community I see a lot of interesting cases and interesting people. There are lot of patients with complex problems.
  As nurses we try to bring our patients a warm smile and comfort them but sometimes we leave feeling sad and discouraged. Sometimes if I have a long drive in between patients I have a good cry and then regain my composure for the next visit.
  But, once in a while I find myself being blessed and cheered in an unexpected way. Such was the case a few weeks ago when I bumped into a former patient at a local Tim Horton’s. I had not seen Rob* in about 3 years and the last time I saw him he was very much able bodied and only missing a few toes from a debilitating disease. Although he had been suffering a great deal with this condition I always remember him being a happy go lucky kind of guy. On this day as I stepped outside the door I spotted a man in a wheelchair, with both cigarette and coffee in hand. My first thought was “Oh, how sad – another homeless person begging for money.” But then I suddenly recognized the person. “Rob, is that you?” I asked. It took him a few seconds to place me but when he did, he reached out to give me a big hug. It was then that I noticed he had no feet and no legs. It took all of my strength at that moment to not break down and cry.
  I asked him about his condition and he filled me in on the details. He told me he has learned to live with his disability and went on to share how he participates in “walks” to help raise money for various causes.
  I don’t know if he is a Christian man but I was so happy to hear that he was not down on himself despite all he has been through and that he can still find it in his heart to help others in need.
  It was one of those small blessings I received that day which helped me carry on and I thanked God for Rob and said a prayer for him as I travelled to see my next patient.
- Monique
*(named changed to protect identity)

Comments