Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, December 4, 2011

  Preachers, called to proclaim a life-changing gospel, often wonder if lives are actually being changed by their messages. Their worst fear is that their words have no impact. Their greatest joy is to hear that someone was prompted to action by something they said.
  I’ve been wondering, for example, if my “ten apple” sermon about giving and saving has had any measurable results. At Thursday’s congregational meeting, it was gratifying to hear that overall budget giving has increased somewhat and that seven more households submitted a pre-authorized debit form (Hope-PAD) in November.
  I also wondered if last Sunday’s challenge to attend last week’s congregational meeting would make any difference. Here, too, there was a slight increase. Fifty-five or so people showed up for an exceptionally creative meeting, instead of the usual 40-50. These results, in the area of giving and attendance, encourage me to keep believing that honest and direct challenges do make a difference.
  Recently, however, someone responded to one of my messages in a way that was especially encouraging.
  On October 16, I preached a sermon about the Christian’s ambition, based on I Thessalonians 4:11. It says, “Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands.” As one of my sermon illustrations, I showed a cap with MYOB printed on it and had some fun imagining a Christian t-shirt using this verse from the Bible to tell people to mind their own business.
  So what did we find in our church mailbox recently? You guessed it. Two black t-shirts featuring the large letters “MYOB”, the entire verse from I Thessalonians 4, and a picture of a hand hefting a hammer. It was awesome.
  Marja and I are now looking for the perfect opportunity to wear them in public. In the meantime, an anonymous person has not only made me laugh out loud but also reassured me that someone is listening. And that does a preacher’s heart good!
- Pastor Peter

Comments