Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, December 18, 2011

Looking for Jesus in the "Beams of Light"
  You may be like me at this point and find yourself asking "What's so merry about Christmas?" You may find yourself or someone you know experiencing one of the dark storms of life such as a bitter divorce, loss of a job, loss of a loved one, or dealing with a dreaded disease like cancer. There are so many storms people face that seem to become magnified at this time of year. Sure, we go to church and put on a brave face, but in reality we have lost sight of the "Star of Bethlehem". We have become like the disciple Peter, so focused on the storm that we begin to sink rather than keep our eyes on Jesus. A couple of well-meaning friends gently reminded me of this fact the other day.
  If you are in that place, where you have lost sight of the Star, then join me in finding Jesus in the "little" or the "beams of light", as I like to call them. An example of a "beam" happened on Monday of this week when I was with my mum at the hospital for her CT scan. I was sitting in the waiting room, after my mum had been taken in and a lady named "Doreen" sat down beside me to drink her "special drink" (required for the CT scan). She said to me that she just wanted to thank me and my mum for making her latest round of chemo more bearable. I asked her what she meant, since she goes to Peterborough for her chemo.
  She explained to me that she was in the waiting room with us at the last CT scan 8 weeks ago when my mum brought laughter into the room with her actions (which are better spoken about in perons.) Doreen went on to explain how she listened when I was telling someone else about my mum and how it's the 7th time that cancer has invaded our home. (My mum's on Round 4 and I've had it 3 times.) Doreen told me her story and although we had no direct contact, we had brought laughter and a beam of hope to help her through her latest chemo.
  That was a "beam of light" for me. It was a small and gentle reminder that, in spite of the darkness of the storm, Jesus can be found in the "little". So, to those of you who, like me, are waiting for your Christmas miracle and/or wondering how you are ever going to make it through this season, here's my advice. Remember, that our Hope arrived in a tiny Heavenly bundle, in a little town called Bethlehem. He is in the midst of the storm with His hand reaching out. So, look at the "beams of light" which may come in many forms such as words from a friend or words shared with a complete stranger. Find the "beams of light", grab hold of them, and let's ride throught our storms together on the hem of our Master's garment.
- MJ

Comments