Skip to main content

Note from the Sun, February 19, 2017

  People know that we are living in very precarious times. Definitely, these are days of great uncertainty and concern. As a Christian community, it is ok to express and share our concerns. By doing so, we are not denying that God is ultimately in control. We are basically admitting our humanity and our need for our Sovereign God. We are admitting that we are real and that is what the world needs right now – a good dose of reality!!!
  Given that, God has given us a reason to celebrate 3 of the greatest gifts He has given us and that we can share with others. What are these gifts? Love, family, and diversity. In fact, we should be celebrating these gifts every day!
  So, let’s talk about Valentine’s Day! LOVE!!! That four-letter word that still overwhelms me! Did you know that per capita, after Christmas, the most money is spent celebrating love? True. So we should be capitalize on this day!!! We are plugged into the source of Love!!! We should be sharing this love with everyone we meet and not just to those who are closest and dearest: Think about the impact simple little acts like opening a door or sharing a smile can have. A phone call or text message can brighten someone’s day more than you may realize. Sharing God’s love in simple little acts can be like little sunbeams poking through the grey clouds of winter!!! So let’s be sunbeams offering the warmth and light of God’s love!!!
  Family! When I think of family, I think of a circle. Circles are important in Jewish culture. We dance in circles like the Hora or the Jewish wedding dance. We eat from the Challah. Challah bread is a twisted dough with no beginning and no end. So in our culture and many others, circles play an important part. They represent community and unity. Family!!! Now, family may look different for each individual. Family does not necessarily mean blood-related. In fact, quite often, it could be defined as a group of people who give you acceptance, edification, and correction in LOVE!!! No matter what your family looks like, it needs to be celebrated!
  Finally, February is Black History month!!! Speaking of Black History, I have to take this opportunity to share my gratitude to 4 black ladies who are key to the woman I am today. The first one would be my Godmother who lived to be 109. She was actually more like a mom to me. She was my role model and solidified my faith! The second person would be Bev who brought me to Hope and gave me hope in more ways than she realized. The third person would be my church mom!!! She continually encourages me to write!!! I am truly honoured to call her my mum because she also inspires me in so many ways!!! And last, but definitely not least, would be my “twin”. She saw my love to express my worship, nurtured it and encouraged me to embrace it!!!
  Black History month should be a reminder to us that God has created our diversity. If He didn’t support diversity, the Tower of Babel would have been built! If He didn’t embrace diversity, He would have had the disciples all speaking Hebrew or Aramaic on the Day of Pentecost!!! God loves diversity and so should we!!! Keep in mind, God created all of us in His image!!! He chose us before we ever chose Him!! He calls us His sons and daughters which is a clear indicator of family!!! And if that wasn’t enough, He gave us the Ultimate Gift of Love – Christ who came to save all!!! So, let’s celebrate February and share the love!!!
- MJ

Comments