Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, February 21, 2016

  Every February, area pastors are invited to attend chapel at Knox Christian School, visit the classrooms and enjoy a free lunch. This year, principal Paul Marcus asked the assembled kids to raise their hands when their pastor was introduced. When I stood, so many Hope Fellowship kids shot up their hands that I could not help but feel some pride.
  We sang praise songs and enjoyed two skits dealing with Jesus’ beatitude, “Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.” I am thankful for every Christian teacher and student in our public schools, but I was amazed again by the freedom of religious expression that our Christian schools enjoy.
  For me, the highlight was a time of confession. We were divided into small groups and asked to list things for which we needed God’s forgiveness. Our list included teasing, hitting, kicking and even biting. I did not know that there was so much violence between siblings in our Christian homes! The kids did not seem any the worse for wear, though, and they grinned mischievously as Mrs. Feddema wrote everything down. During my turn I admitted that sometimes I relied more on my own strength than God’s. A boy said, “I don’t understand that one.” I thought, “One day you will.”
  The lists were gathered and my colleague, Pastor Brian Bell from Trulls Free Methodist Church, was asked to rip them multiple times. Then he was instructed to throw the torn pieces into the air as Mr. Marcus explained that showing mercy involved both forgiving and forgetting. When Pastor Brian returned to his seat beside me, I whispered, “Ready to rip a telephone book next?” He whispered back, “I worried that I would not be able to tear the pages as the pile got thicker.” It was our turn to grin.
  I came home with a black toque and a scarf to compliment the Knox golf shirt that I got last year and often wear on the pulpit. Now all I need is a shirt from Durham Christian High so that I can also promote it.
- Pastor Peter

Comments