Skip to main content

Note from the Sun, August 2, 2015

  Having the summers off since I began teaching in 1998 has left me feeling restless and incomplete. I felt like I really needed to be doing more with the time I was given.
I had heard of mission trips from the church but they always seemed to be when I was at school so these would not be for me. This winter I first learned that Hope would start a Vacation Bible School – Mount Everest. I quickly signed up to be a leader, thinking I was on my way to making my time count.
  Not long after I had signed up, Christine from our small group was telling us about a mission’s trip to the Dominican Republic this summer. I was excited and upon asking her more details she told me she had heard about it from Joan. I laughed as I realized God’s plan was coming directly to me. The trip was being planned by my daughter’s mother-in-law and it was planned for a time I could go. After learning the dates with VBS and the Dominican trip did not conflict I signed up for this too.
  Vacation Bible School was amazing. Each day the children were reminded about God’s plans for us in terms that were simple for them to learn and remember. The leaders were amazing and very dedicated. God is always where you need him to be.
  VBS finished on July 10th and on July 14th we took off for the Dominican to help build a house for a special family. We were to have the use of a driver and a translator for our week there. Little did I know what an important part they would play in helping me realize God’s plan is always at work.
  When we arrived, we were taken to our hotel, where we were treated very kindly. The people of the Dominican are helpful, considerate and appreciative of what they have (although sometimes it is not very much at all). The next day our driver, Jose, and translator, Dennis, picked us up to take us to meet John Huizinga, who is the director of the Samaritan Foundation. First we worked in the workshop, where all of the doors and windows are made. We spent a little time working here painting some of the windows, while Bob learned how to make the windows (he later would teach most of the other members of our group how to make them also). We then had lunch in a little park surrounded by children who were so happy to spend time with us. Throughout our days, children followed us and held our hands, happy to be with us and full of joy when they saw the photos we took of them. Then John took us on a tour of all of the places the Samaritan Foundation had built homes. It was truly amazing to think we were going to be a part of this. Over 1400 homes have been built since the foundation started in 1990, not to mention schools, churches and medical centres. Finally he took us to the top of the hill where the foundation of the house we were helping to build had been started. It was a beautiful site; sun shining, rolling hills, vibrant green trees swaying in the wind, birds singing their sweet songs to all who would listen. The view was spectacular and the cooling wind helped us to appreciate the gifts that God sends us.
  For the remainder of the week we would work intermittently on the house, or parts for the house. Along with this, we would participate in other activities that showed us God’s plan.
  How can I explain the many times that my heart was touched, making me feel closer to God? We all spent many minutes wiping tears from our eyes as something truly amazing happened. While helping feed children at a feeding centre (maybe their only meal of the day), walking alongside children, making popcorn to serve at bible story movies for children from one of the villages, or visiting the men who, though having addictions, had found Christ were awe-inspiring for me.
  Three things allowed me to recognize God’s power to send us love and these events will always be imprinted on my heart.
  The first episode that touched my heart was when we were at church. It was very warm, and some fans were plugged in, but others weren’t. A very old man came into the church in the middle of a hymn. When it was finished we all sat down. The man in front of the old man saw him from the corner of his eye. He looked up at the fan near the old man and saw it was not plugged in. He came around, plugged it in, and redirected it towards the old man. Not a word was spoken, but a breeze now blew towards the old man so he would be more comfortable. How compassionate! It also reminded me that these people were getting by, and were happy for whatever they had and made the most of what they did have.
  Second, our driver, Jose, was a truly remarkable person. He had many things going on in his personal life but he always wore a smile, or shared a laugh with us. He was so compassionate but he truly took on the role of a servant as he always went out of his way to help Bob get to any place that might prove difficult for him. One time I heard him ask, “Where’s Bob?” when he was not sure where he had gone.
  Finally, tears come to my eyes as I think of the joy, hope and peace that my last memory brings to me. On our final day we met the family who was soon to move into the house. We had a dedication ceremony at the top of the hill, standing in what would soon be their house. The Mom, Dad and nine year old boy were filled with joy over their blessing. But it was the look in Jocelyn’s eye that brought tears to my eye. She was overwhelmed with love and hope that her family’s future could now be better. They would be leaving a wooden shack they had borrowed (which often flooded, as a river was out the back), to a home that they could call their own. Her love and hope infused me in a way I cannot say, only to say I know it came from God.
  I know these memories, and many more will be cherished and mulled over time and time again in my mind. I know God has opened this door for me, and it reminds me that there is much more to do. I look forward to my next opportunity to serve with a happy heart.
- Catherine

Comments