Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, November 9, 2014

  How do you redeem Hallowe’en? You go house to house and collect food for the area food banks. That’s exactly what the youth of our church did on October 31 when they went trick or treating for hope and brought more than 900 pounds of food to Calvary Baptist Church where it was weighed, sorted and distributed between five area food banks.
  The total collected by the four participating youth groups was 1932.1 lbs. Whitby Baptist had seven students who collected 58.1 pounds each for 406.7lbs. Hope Fellowship had eighteen students collect 52 pounds each for 936 lbs. Ritson Alliance had 8 students collect 38.1 pounds each for 304.8lbs. And Calvary Baptist had 20 students collect 14.2 pounds each for 284.6lbs.
  It was a delight to see the youth come in to Calvary Church, many of them almost unrecognizable in their masks and make up. As someone who helped sort the jars and cans of pasta, tuna, vegetables and fruit, I benefited from their enthusiasm. Joy really is contagious!
  I benefited from their efforts again this week when I walked to church and chatted with the friendly crossing guard with whom I often chat. “I had young people come to my house to collect food on Halloween,” she told me. “Were they from your church?”
  “Maybe,” I said, “I’m not really sure because other churches and organizations were out collecting food as well.”
  “They left a flier,” she said, “and it mentioned Hope. That’s your church, right? And it mentioned Father Peter. That’s you, right?” I grinned and agreed that it was.
  As she walked me across the street she said that our young people were awesome and had done a wonderful thing for the community. I thanked her and continued my walk with a spring in my step, thinking that I could have told her that a younger youth group, our Cadets, had collected more than 130 coats for needy kids.
  I know I’m not supposed to brag, but I sure am thankful to God for the way our kids and youth served our community with joy in the last several weeks.
- Pastor Peter
(a.k.a. “Father” Peter at one crosswalk)

Comments