Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, Oct 13, 2013

  I've heard many positive comments about last week’s Steve Bell concert. His songs, guitar playing and stories affected people in a deep way. One woman told me that she was thankful for the way Steve’s music “soothed” her spirit at a time when she is wrestling with much inner turmoil. Someone who had never heard of Steve expressed surprise at the fact that he enjoyed not only the music but also Steve’s stories. Another person was enthusiastic about the large, diverse audience that came together in our facilities for this memorable evening.
  I met with Steve before the concert and said that I looked forward to introducing him. It took him a moment or two to realize that I was Hope Fellowship’s pastor. Then he joked, “Oh, I didn't realize that you were the big guy around here.” I laughed and replied, “Yep, that’s me. I just exude bigness!” He just grinned and said, “No, No, that’s not what I meant.”
  Steve’s sense of humour, which we enjoyed throughout the concert, is paired with a wonderful spirit of generosity. He gladly donated more than half of the proceeds from the ticket sales to Terry’s family, an amount that will help pay off the medical bills that resulted from Lorraine’s long battle with cancer.
  A great concert like this doesn’t just happen. Behind the scenes, over a period of many months, Carl, Joanne and Evelyn managed innumerable details. Booking Steve, distributing promotional materials, finding ushers, looking after the CD sales...it all took time and energy. At the end of the day, 450 audience members were grateful for a job well done. Thank you Carl, Joanne and Evelyn, and all those who volunteered in various ways!
  During his encore, Steve expressed appreciation for our venue and the audience and said, “Let’s do this again sometime!” I hope that he will return in the next couple of years, giving even more people the opportunity to hear this “artful” singer-songwriter and storyteller.
- Pastor Peter

By the way, his latest album, Keening for the Dawn, won the Western Canada Music Award this week in the “Spiritual Album” category. Way to go, Steve!



Comments