Skip to main content

Note from the Pastor, March 17, 2013

  Holy smoke! We have a new pope. Sorry, I couldn't resist.
  White smoke produced by a mixture of potassium chlorate, lactose, and pine resin is a strange, yet charmingly primitive way to announce “Habemus Papem” to the world.
Historically, it links us with more antiquated times when mass communication was done by means of smoke signals and ringing bells. No flue is now more famous than the Sistine Chapel chimney!
  The simplicity of this form of communication is especially fitting for the man who was elected as pope. The former archbishop of Buenos Aires, Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, is the first Jesuit pope, a member of an order of priests that is dedicated to helping the poor and living humble, prayerful lives. Simplicity and humility are the two main words that the media have been using to describe him.
  His simple lifestyle has already endeared him to many. He is known for taking the bus, for preparing his own meals and for living in very ordinary accommodations. In his first public act, he showed himself to be a common man. Whereas previous popes appeared on the balcony wearing full vestments, he chose to wear only a white cassock and cap. Waving shyly to the cheering masses below, he eschewed a formal text and said, “Brothers and sisters, good evening.” He joked, “You know that the work of the conclave is to give a bishop to Rome. It seems as if my brother cardinals went to find him from the end of the earth.” Then he asked everyone to pray for him before praying the Lord’s Prayer with him.
  His chosen name, Pope Francis I, communicates a lot, too. It links him with St. Francis of Assisi (1182-1226), the patron saint of animals and the environment who lived a life of poverty and composed one of the most loved prayers of all time.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
and where there is sadness, joy.
to be consoled as to console; 
to be understood as to understand; 
to be loved as to love. 

For it is in giving that we receive; 
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; 
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life. 
Amen

Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi

   But do we even care about the election of a new pope? After all, we are Protestants, not counted among the world’s 1.2 billion Catholics. 
  Of course, we care. The Roman Catholic Church is our mother church. All of us are “brothers and sisters” in the Lord Jesus Christ. More importantly, the whole world needs servant leaders who will inspire people to live like Jesus.
  Already, I find myself looking more closely at my lifestyle. Not only during Lent, but also throughout the year, are there ways that I can live more simply and thankfully? I say that I prefer the simple life. But far too often my wants outstrip my needs.
  I also find myself examining my personality and attitude. Not only during the days leading up to Good Friday and Easter, but in all of my life, are there ways that I need to be more gracious and less proud? I say that I love Christ’s humility. But far too often my pride blinds me to the feelings of others.
  May God bless Pope Francis I and use him to sow love, pardon, faith, hope, light and joy. Lord knows we need many more instruments of Christ’s peace.
- Pastor Pete

Comments