Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, June 21, 2015

  Most of us have good intentions when it comes to prayer and supporting the good things our church does. However, in the busy-ness and rush of the day to day we often fall short and feel a sense of failure. This feeling of defeat can impact our spiritual walk. So we face a two prong problem - where do we find the time and how do we remember? That is the challenge!
  In looking for time and not knowing everyone’s schedule at Hope I examined my own schedule to look for a time in my day that I could spare. I also wanted to link prayer to a daily behaviour that almost everyone does. If we can have small success in our prayer commitment it encourages us in contrast to defeating us. So toothbrush prayers were born.
  Taking the time that we brush our teeth to commit some of the ministries that Hope is blessed to support is good for both the ministry, our church and the individual praying. God will be glorified.
  Next came the idea that so often “we don’t have because we do not ask” therefore the evening toothbrush time was a challenge to “show me”. It could be show me where more time is, show me who God is or show me who I am in God. I do know that if we ask God to show Himself to us with sincere hearts He will be faithful.
  Now what to do with this idea? How would people respond? Does it seem ridiculous? Perhaps I am the only one who struggles with finding time? It was time to take a step of faith and try my idea out on fellow zone coordinators. I even wrote it in my report so I would have to present and not chicken out. God has blessed Hope with very gracious staff who supported the idea! Next step: congregation. And so the challenge went out. The response was enthusiastic and an encouragement to me. Praying for the Gate for June and continuing with other ministries in the months to come is part of our Believe, Bless and Belong goals!
  I always think it is important to do what I ask others to do… so up went the card on the bathroom mirror right where I could see it. Every morning it was right there while I brushed my teeth and yet every morning in the car on the way to work I realized I forgot. Luckily I knew the verse and could pray in car. It is never easy to make new habits but God will show us, teach us and equip us if we just ask. He alone is faithful.
- Lisa Witvoet, Outreach Zone Coordinator

Comments