Skip to main content

Hopeful Story, July 20, 2014

  Nervous as a freshman, I got off the bus and found the classroom where the Motorcycle Safety course is taught. Then I met Bob, 60, a Hawaiian man of Japanese descent. He told me that he used to be in the army. I said that I was a pastor on sabbatical. We asked each other why we were taking the class. I explained that I've had my motorcycle license for years but didn't dare to ride without a refresher course.
  For Bob it was all about stretching himself. "There are a number of things that I'm doing to get out of my comfort zone," he said. "In fact, I even joined a New Hope Church bible study last month at the invitation of a friend." Imagine my surprise!
  We kept an eye on each other over the next two days. I shared my lunch with him, a multi-grain, Gouda cheese sandwich that he loved. He gave me a ride home.
  We passed the course and congratulated each other. Driving home, Bob shared his doubts about the divinity of Jesus. I shared my faith in Christ's resurrection. "Would you like to come to the Bible study?" he asked. "Sure," I said. Later that week he e-mailed me to say that his small group had invited both of us to come. "I'll be in touch before July 22nd and we can talk about the best place to pick you up."
  In class I heard many gruesome stories about motorcycle accidents which, combined with my inexperience, made me question the wisdom of riding again. I can still hear our instructor setting up another cautionary tale with the words, "This ain't gonna end good!"
  But the one thing that has worked out very well is the unexpected relationship that developed between Bob and me. We may never ride together, but I think we'll stay in touch.
  What makes me really smile about our budding friendship? The sweet irony of a seeker inviting a pastor to a New Hope Church small group, something I was hoping to experience at least once on our sabbatical.
- Pastor Peter





Comments