Skip to main content

Sun Note, June 22, 2014

A TRIBUTE TO FATHERS

  After writing about mothers, it was suggested that fathers receive equal honour. Even though this is being printed on the Sunday following Father’s Day, it does not diminish the honour due. I discovered that one of the origins of Father’s Day can be traced back to 1908 in a Methodist Church to honour the memory of 361 miners killed in West Virginia. There are several other possibilities. But regardless of the origin, Father’s Day become an American National Holiday in 1972. It is celebrated on 18 different days of the year throughout the world.
  So let’s start our world tour in the most important country in the world right now. If you haven’t guessed, I am talking about Brazil. GO HOLLAND!!! Ok, now back to Father’s Day. In Brazil, Father’s Day is strongly tied to their Catholic faith. It is held on the 2nd Sunday of August, which is St. Joachim’s Day. St. Joachim was the father of Mary and the earthly grandfather of Jesus.
  In Thailand, Father’s Day is celebrated on the 5th of December. This date is the birthday of the widely admired King Bhumbol Adulyadej. The King gives an annual speech. The day is then marked by giving fathers and grandfathers the Canna Flower, The Canna flower is believed to have a masculine association. (This might prod you to further investigation). Men wear yellow in honour of the King.
  On February 23rd, Russia’s celebration of Father’s Day is known as Defender of the Fatherland Day. It is usually called “Men’s Day”.
  Prior to China becoming the People’s Republic in 1949, Father’s Day was celebrated on August 8th because two eights sounds similar to the word for “daddy”. In Chinese, this word is translated “ba-ba”. But now, Father’s Day is the 3rd Sunday in June.
  I encourage you to do some research on your own.
  I would like to leave you with a few lessons I learned from my dad in the short 9 years that I had him before his passing.
  Life Lesson #1 is the most important. It is to demonstrate the love of God and to follow Him. Whether it was being the leader of a young people’s group in his church, working with the Inuit people in Yellowknife or teaching at a school on the Blood Indian Reserve, my dad loved God and showed it.
  The second life lesson is to always be yourself. My dad always told me never to put on “the airs and graces”. He said that you might try to be something you’re not, but why bother when God sees your heart. So whether it was dining with the Eaton Family, watching a Leafs game at Maple Leaf Gardens with Connie Smyth and his family in the gold seats, or eating dinner at home with our local bus driver, Ross and his wife, my dad was my dad. He said to treat everyone with the same dignity and respect regardless of their walk in life.
  The last life lesson I will share is this. An Inuit once taught my dad an important life lesson which he passed on to me. You never really understand a person until you have walked a mile in his moccasins. I know that the saying is to never judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes. But as my father was taught and this lesson was reinforced to me by Inuit friend of mine, shoes are the wrong footwear. You can only feel all the sticks, stones, unevenness of the ground, etc. in moccasins. Try it yourself.
  Honour all the men in your life and thank them for their contributions!
- MJ



Comments