Skip to main content

Note from the Pastor, October 2, 2011

  Have I ever told you I have the best job in the world? If you ever see a smug look on my face, it’s because I’m feeling sorry for everyone else, since it’s my job and I’m not giving it up! If you ever see me with a smile on my face, it’s because I love what I do.
  Why do I have the best job in the world? Well, I get to work with all of you! My job allows me to connect with so many Hope Fellowship people that just wouldn’t be possible any other way. So many of you have shared parts of your lives with me and I count it a privilege and a blessing. For me, the people I come in contact with are the best part of the day. A day with no phone calls or nobody stopping into the office is a long and boring day.
  Not only that, I get to work with Pastor Peter! Enough said? Working with someone who always sees the bright side of things, who is always encouraging and positive makes coming to work something to look forward to every day. I wish you all could have a boss like mine.
  And if that’s not enough, I also get to work with our six zone coordinators. If you ever want to see a committed, dedicated, passionate group of people, you should stop in sometime when they are all together. Sometimes it makes my head spin! But they work so well together, and are passionate about serving God in this corner of His Kingdom to the best of their ability.
  Working for a church is a funny thing. You get paid, but somehow there is always this expectation, whether its put there by others or yourself, that you work beyond the scope of your job. And these six people do. They are here late, they are here early. They pour themselves into their ministry here at Hope Fellowship.
  I was thinking about all of this on my way home from work on Wednesday afternoon. It was a great day. Just before the end of the day I received a story from someone who thought I might enjoy it (good thing I was alone when I read it, because it made me cry) and an unexpected encouragement from someone else. It must have put a smile on my face because everyone I looked at smiled back at me. And I started thinking...what if we could do that for our leaders this month?
  October is traditionally “Pastor Appreciation Month” where pastors all over North America are thanked and honoured by those they serve. We have tried over the years to show our appreciation for Pastor Peter and Marja in different ways. Let’s do that again this month, but carry it a step further.
  Lets think about those who are in leadership in Hope Fellowship and take the time to encourage them this month. If you are involved in youth ministry as a leader or a young person, take some time to let Alice Brink know that you appreciate her. If you are involved in Children’s Ministry, write a card to Nicole Broersma and let her know one way she has blessed you. If you are involved in Sunday worship services (and that would be all of us!) let Mike Broersma know that his passion for music and worship is a gift. If you are involved in outreach, let Heidi St. Jean know that her enthusiasm and love for others has helped you. If you are involved in community life at Hope Fellowship, find a way to let Pauline know that her hard work to make sure that people get connected at Hope Fellowship is neither unnoticed nor unappreciated. And if you love the way our building is looked after and how things run smoothly because of background administration work, make sure Chris Ritskes knows about that. And, of course, thank Pastor Peter and Marja for their leadership at Hope Fellowship. We are so blessed to have them here. You could thank Ron and Linda for their tireless work to keep our building spotless, you could thank Denise for the financial work she does for us and how she keeps us on track as best she can. Our elders and deacons are leaders, too, and put in many hours of work and prayer as they lead Hope Fellowship.
  The possibilities are endless—a card with a personal note, a Tim’s card, an offer of help, a reminder that you are praying. The ripple effect will be far reaching. The outcome will be amazing as people are blessed and encouraged to give their all for the Kingdom work they have been called to do. My cards are ready—now I need to find a quiet evening to write them. Shh, don’t tell Pastor Peter & Marja, Mike, Alice, Nicole, Chris, Pauline or Heidi. I want them to be a surprise.
- Evelyn Oudyk

Comments